For children turning 5 between September 1st – December 2nd
- Transitional kindergarten (TK) is a historic educational opportunity that is now part of the kindergarten experience for children born between September 2 and December 2.
- In 2010, The Kindergarten Readiness Act (SB 1381 (Chapter 705, Statutes of 2010) amended EC sections 46300, 48000, and 48010) changed the kindergarten entry date so that kids must be 5 years old before September 1st of the year they enroll in kindergarten. It also created transitional kindergarten, a bridge between pre-kindergarten school and kindergarten for those children born in the fall.
- If a child attends PK and is turning 5 between September 1st and December 2nd, they should attend transitional kindergarten, as it is the first year of a two-year kindergarten experience.
- Transitional kindergarten gives young learners an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment tailored to meet their academic and social needs, providing them with the smart start they need to be confident learners in Kindergarten and beyond.
- Transitional Kindergarten is available at each of the Fresno Unified School District elementary school sites.
For additional information or to enroll contact your neighborhood elementary school, or enroll online: https://www.fresnounified.org/Pages/how-to-enroll.aspx
Transitional Kindergarten (TK): First of a two-year kindergarten program, available at most elementary school sites, for children turning 5 between September 2 – December 2.
Kindergarten: For 5-year-old students. Students must turn 5 by September 1.